Friday, April 19, 2013

Untitled.

What a week. Somber. In a way I feel numb to it. Newton I cried every day for a week or more or longer... Maybe I'm still processing. Normally I don't run on Tuesdays because I go to Barre at night but I got up Tuesday morning and ran for Boston. I still went to Barre that night and my body didn't want to cooperate. My arms actually gave out on the side planks- I couldn't even hold myself up. 

 Every month the parents of the different grades at the kids' school host a lunch for the teachers. This month it was the Kindergarten parents' turn- soup and salad theme. I signed up to bring salad. I got up this morning and made this fabulous Asian Chicken Salad and delivered it promptly at 10am as noted in the email. Glancing around when I got there as to why no one else was there I figured it's just because I'm so awesome and on time. I drove away thinking surely I didn't get the day wrong did I? It's not next week is it? I rush to my desk at work not even getting down to actual work, powering up to my personal email doing a search for staff lunch. There it was in BOLD AND UNDERLINED. THURSDAY, APRIL 18TH.
I wanted to crawl under a rock. I immediately called the school secretary, told her what I did and to spread that word so that it gets eaten. I emailed both kids' teachers telling them I can't find my brain and I brought my salad a day late. Now... combine this with my heightened emotional state of watching the news when I shouldn't, and being up with Aidan until 2am, and PMS, I was ready to burst into tears OVER A SALAD.
To my relief I received the following emails from the staff:
"everyone loved the salad! it was gone in a blink of an eye"
"It is so good. Would you be willing to share the recipe"
"It was actually a nice treat to have it the day after.  There was so much food yesterday.  So it was fun to have something today."
"We were so glad you thought it was today because we are all enjoying your delicious salad!  What a blessing!"

How gracious they are. 

The past few years I've been really trying to focus on contentment. Just being content. I find myself with a grumbling heart and I remind myself that others might have less. When I had a temper tantrum earlier in the week about cooking dinner I saw how ungrateful I was because I actually have food to cook when others don't. Or  the fact that there were people laid up in hospital beds losing limbs in Boston while I was whining...

I saw a post on FB tonight that says "Live Gratitude." Begin your day by feeling grateful. Be grateful for the bed you just slept in, the roof over your head, the carpet or floor under your feet, the running water, the soap, your shower, your toothbrush, your clothes, your shoes, the refrigerator that keeps your food cold, the car that you drive, your job, your friends. Be grateful for the stores that make it so easy to buy the things you need, the restaurants, the utilities, services, and electrical appliances that make your life effortless. Be grateful for the magazines and the books that you read. Be grateful for the chair that you sit on, and the pavement that you walk on. Be grateful for the weather, the sun, the sky, the birds, the trees, the grass, the rain, and the flowers.

I have so much to be grateful for. 
Praying for you Boston and Texas.


1 comment:

The Rogers Family said...

hang in there...we all have bad days...hugs...