Saturday, April 10, 2010

Car accidents, colds, and complaining

The kids and I were in a car accident on Friday. It was completely my fault- I was at a stop sign in our neighborhood turning left and there was a parked car on the street- I didn't even see this lady coming and I pulled out right in front of her. Our minivan is pretty banged up :-( Our neighbor on this street is a police officer and he heard the crash from his house- he was there in a matter of seconds. I am so grateful!

Thankfully no injuries. We all stayed home yesterday to make the necessary calls, fill out the accident forms etc. Rick came home from work to get the estimate done and he drove me to the grocery story before going back to work. I'm still shaken up by it, I'm sick about the $500 deductible.... and right before our trip to Maui. Coming off of these types events, makes you feel (me at least) incompetent yet humble... but I've realized that you just gotta keep on keeping on and get back in a car and drive. I say humble because I am the WORLD'S biggest backseat driver. My poor husband takes so much lip from me...

One of my coworkers came to work sick last week and I was thinking how this would be bad timing if the kids get sick right before our trip... they both ended up with mild colds and now Rick and I have the worst of it I think. It's just one of those weekends where I just want to crawl under something and hide. The car doesn't go in the shop until the 19th so we are now trying to figure out how to get to the airport without spending an arm and a leg on door to airport service. If anyone has any recommendations on a cheap shuttle service please send our way.

I was in the car with the kids this morning and Aidan keeps saying "Mom you broke the car" or he'll point to another car on the road and say, "Mom, you crash that car too?" or "Mom you crash that lady and broke the light" and on and on. Lasting imprint on a little mind.

and this too shall pass. I couldn't come up with a list of things I loved this week except roasted brussel sprouts. I love those and well, obviously the fact that everyone is safe. If I had pulled out any faster she would have hit Abby's side. God is great.

1 comment:

Mark Jenkins said...

So sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you are all okay. Hope to see you on Sunday. Email me when you need to go to the airport. Maybe Karen or I could help.